Knowing what a domain is can go a long way in setting your online presence up for success — particularly if you are a business looking to use a website to increase sales. Your domain name is the backbone of your digital presence. It’s one of the most important things for your visitors to know and remember, and it’s a critical component of your omnichannel marketing strategy.
To help you understand domain names and the components that affect your ability to register a domain name and operate a website, we’ve created this detailed article.
- What is a domain name and why is it important?
- What are the parts of a domain name?
- Domain vs. URL — What’s the difference?
- Domain vs. website — What’s the difference?
- What is the domain name system (DNS)?
- Understanding the domain registrar vs. registrant vs. registry.
- Intellectual property and domain names.
- The importance of domain names for businesses.
- What to do when you are ready to move forward with a domain name.
Domain names can seem like a complicated topic, but after you finish this guide you’ll have the foundation necessary to make intelligent decisions related to domain names and domain registration. Ready? Let’s go!